Cache vs Primary

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 7 18:55:35 UTC 2000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 10:22:58AM -0500, Manjeet Rekhi wrote:
..
> My internal DNS server is running on an HP server (named version is 4.9.7). Its
> named.boot file has following entries (apart from other entries):
>
> cache     .    root
> forwarders     x.x.x.x
> options forward-only
>
> The root file has following entries:
>
> . 999999999 IN NS Fully-Qualified-HP-Server-Name.
> Fully-Qualified-HP-Server-Name. 999999999 IN A IP-Address-Of-HP-Server
>
> Can I use 'primary' option instead of  'cache' option in my named.boot file? I
> want my Server to resolve internet-server names. My doubt is that if I use
> 'primary' option, named may not look at forwarders entry. This server is not
> directly on internet but is connected to x.x.x.x (gateway server) which is on
> internet.
>
> Any help will be welcome!
> ...Manjeet

Your doubt is valid.  You may NOT use "primary" there.  In more recent
versions of BIND, the contents of the root file may be ignored in a
forward-only configuration like this; but I would always make the
contents of the "root" file point to the gateway server.

For your own security, you should upgrade to at least BIND 8.2.2-P7.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B