Different internal/external name spaces

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Dec 8 16:45:26 UTC 2000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 02:35:16PM +1100, Geoff Steer wrote:
> The 'powers that be' within Fujitsu Australia have decided that the
> exisiting 'unsupported'  DNS servers (Linux, Bind 8.2.2-P7) are to be
> replaced with Win2k DNS servers. As part of this, the proposal has been
> made that a different namespace be used fo rthe internal network with
> the exisiting domain name fujitsu.com.au used only for the external
> (INternet) view.
> The only place I've found any reference to doing this is on the
> Microsoft web site under discussions of DNS and AD.
> I'm looking for information so I can present a case against doing this,
> any suggestions??

Doing which?  It's perfectly reasonable to use a different namespace
within the internal network: it just might confuse people a bit.  It's
totally unreasonable to replace well-proven Linux and BIND 8.2.2-P7
with buggy, non-standards-conformant MSW2K and MS DNS.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B