Nameservers

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Dec 8 16:44:29 UTC 2000

> Hi all,
>=20
> I hope I might be able to get some help from people here about a=20
> question I
> have. Basically, is there anything wrong with doing the following:
>=20
> My primary and secondary nameservers have the following ip's assigned:
> 203.122.134.131 and 203.122.134.135

If those two nameservers are actually on the same network segment and
are sharing the same connection to the Internet, the same powersupply
and/or the same building etc, yes, this is not very good, as one failure
would mean you are losing all visibility for your zone from the 'net.
See RFC2182 Section 3.1 regarding selection of secondary nameservers.

>=20
> I have two domains, for reference sake, domain1.com and domain2.com.
>=20
> I want to set the nameservers for these two domains as follows
>=20
>         domain1.com:
>=20
>                                 primary namesever =3D ns.domain1.com
>                                 secondary nameserver =3D =
ns2.domain1.com
>=20
>         domain2.com:
>=20
>                                 primary nameserver  ns.domain2.com
>                                 secondary nameserver ns2.domain2.com
>=20
> I want to make both primary nameservers, ie ns.domain1.com and
> ns.domain2.com to point to 203.122.134.131
>=20
> I also want to make both secondary nameservers, ns2.domain1.com and
> ns2.domain2.com to point to 203.122.134.135
>=20
> As you can see, I want to use the same IP address for 2 different
> nameservers, that is, the assignment of IP's is not unique. Is this at =
all
> possible? I have tried in the .com.au namespace and delegations and =
such
> work no problems. However in a .com namespace, I have been told=20
> this is NOT
> possible. Why not?

In theory this is possible, but some registries and registrars keep =
additional
information on the hosts registered as nameservers. Eg NSI associates =
exactly 1
IP address with 1 hostname, and you cannot add another name to that 1 IP =
addres
in their HOST entry.=20

Other .com registrars might not care that strongly and allow that.

Obviously you could use the same name for your delegation records at NSI =
(or
any other registrar), but use different names internally to the zon, but =
that is
ugly and could cause problems later if people don't know about this =
inconsistencies.

HTH HAND