DNS and cluster

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Dec 8 17:40:36 UTC 2000

rappanah at cf6.fr wrote:

>Hi all,
>We have actually 2 DNS machines (bind 4.2) on an AIX 4.3.2 system (on a
>HACMP Cluster)...
>We decided to upgrade to bind 8.2.2 P7 due to WIN2K servers for dynamic
>updates.
>How can I configure the two DNS machines (master, slave mode ?) ? When
>The first DNS server is out of order, does the second DNS server has
>the dynamic records of the first one.

This question was answered recently, if I understand the question
correctly.  Your primary DNS that contains the WIN2K zones should be
transferring those zones to a slave.  The slave should always have
the dynamic DNS updates from the master (after some zone transfer
time delay).  The problem occurs when the master is not available
for some reason.  The WIN2K boxes will still send their DDNS
requests to the master, which will not accept the requests because
it is unavailable.  You then have two choices:

1) Let the DDNS requests fail.  From my experience with MS WIN2K DNS,
   the machines will keep on retrying the DDNS requests until they
   succeed (and then continually, albeit with less frequency).

2) Reconfigure the DNS servers so that the slave becomes the master.
   Depending upon the length of the master outage, this may or may not
   be desirable.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov