NS record for 127.0.0.1?

Bob Proulx bob at torment.proulx.com
Mon Dec 11 05:58:30 UTC 2000

Since all nameservers need to include data for 127.0.0.1 I would like
to have a generic file that would be used for all of them.  I would
like to list the NS record as "localhost." such as in my example below
so that I do not need any customization of the file in different
domains.

This configuration seems to work.  I can look up localhost on machines
that do not run a named on them and all appears well.  I cannot deduce
any issues with this configuration and have actually been running that
way for some time.  But I thought I would get a review from the
community about this configuration.  Since it is not mentioned in the
DNS bible I am left wondering but it is also only given cursory
treatment there and so perhaps it is not so bad after all.

Thanks
Bob

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;