Question on wrong DNS information on Internet

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 25 21:27:24 UTC 2000

In article <9248p2$o9u at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
CHANGE username to just westes <DELETE_westes at uscsw.com> wrote:
>We updated our primary DNS information about three weeks ago, and since then
>we have been noticing a quite bizarre symptom.   ISPs will have the correct
>version of our DNS information, pulled from our primary, only to have that
>information change back to the old information, then flop back to new, and
>so forth.   I cannot really explain the pattern, but it is starting to cause
>a lot of e-mail to bounce back to senders.

It would help if you said what domain you're managing and what information
is flip-flopping.

>What would cause this kind of flip-flop behavior in the DNS information for
>our domain being reported by different end-user sites?

The most common cause of obsolete data sticking around is forgetting to
update the glue records in the parent zone.  If it's a .COM zone, you need
to submit a Modify Host form to NSI to change the IP address in the glue
record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA