Question on wrong DNS information on Internet

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Dec 28 03:10:37 UTC 2000

I would do the following:

E-mail the old provider and MAKE SURE they've removed all traces of your
zone from their servers.

If that doesn't fix it, start taking a very close look at the TLD
servers and make sure none of them somehow missed getting updated.  This
happened to one of my customers last year, was VERY odd, and eventually
Cricket himself helped them figure it out.

Their admins found it by looking at web server logs originally...
exactly 13% of their traffic was still going to their old machine after
a move.  At the time the number of root/TLD (I forget if this was before
the change or not...) servers handing out inaccurate information divided
by the number of root/TLD servers gave exactly 13%.

:)

That was the oddest thing I've seen so far.  I'm sure others have seen
stranger things.

Also, do queries against ALL of the new servers and make sure that the
zones match 100%.  Heck, have them roll the serial number and make sure
they all update.  If not, you'll have found the troublemaker.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>