multiple-cnames support in 8.2.2-P5

Schaefer, Paul A SchaePA at ch.etn.com
Wed Dec 27 16:39:53 UTC 2000

There was some discussion of multiple-cnames getting broken in an earlier
rev of BIND 8.  I'm using BIND 8.2.2 P5 on my Solaris boxes and an earlier
version of 8 on the HP side.  The HP version works the way I want it to when
I add

multiple-cnames yes;

to my options but the Solaris boxes don't.  The HP is the master.  When I
use CNAME statements like these:

ins	60	IN	CNAME		raiders.foo.com
ins	60	IN	CNAME		temple.foo.com
ins	60	IN	CNAME		crusade.foo.com

nslookups to the master rotate through the three machines; nslookups to the
secondaries continue to give the first entry as the correct answer, even if
I wait long enough for cached names to expire.  To make diagnosis a little
harder, I am missing some tools like dig because I use packages instead of
compiling my own name server.

Three questions:
1.  I believe multiple-cnames was supposed to be fixed by 8.2.2, according
to the doc it has been.  I didn't see much else about it after 8.2.1 came
out.  Is there something special I need to do to activate it besides the
option statement?  I have also tried to do this with an rrset order without
success.
2.  Could my problem somehow be between the master and the secondaries
rather than in the config on the secondaries?
3.  Kevin Darcy describes multiple-cnames as inherently evil.  What's that
all about?  I just want to do load sharing among 3 different machines.  They
are existing production machines that I want to use for a new purpose.  I am
forced to use the existing names, I can't add new interfaces, and I can't
afford any more hardware.  So what's the problem with multiple cnames?

Thanks
Paul Schaefer