whois/fwhois on RedHat Linux box

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Dec 27 23:25:41 UTC 2000

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 05:46:20PM +0000, mz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could any one do the following command:
> >whois domain.com
> under general user other than root,  and tell me the output?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> mzchen

$ ls -l /usr/bin/*whois
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         4748 Feb  4  2000 /usr/bin/fwhois
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 May 19  2000 /usr/bin/whois -> fwhois

$ whois domain.com
[whois.crsnic.net]

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: DOMAIN.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS.DOMAIN.COM
   Name Server: NS2.ZOCALO.NET
   Name Server: NS.ZOCALO.NET
   Updated Date: 25-oct-2000

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:44:57 EST <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

Is there any file that you have made unreadable by a non-super user?
E.g., /etc/services?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B