setting up own dns ??

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Tue Feb 1 10:03:43 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "steve" <mazingazusa at hotmail.com>

> Here is my dilemma in setting up my own dns server at home.  I just got a
> DSL service installed and was given 2 ip address. I wish to set-up my own
> DNS server at home.. (primary and second name server). Can this be done ?

Generally speaking, yes.

> without going through ISP ?

Generally speaking, no; since you're connected to the Internet through
your ISP, your Internet traffic will have to pass through them.

> I guess my real question is... if i setup
> primary and secondary name server and register my domain name with INTERNIC,
> Would will replicated the zone entry with my DNS server at home ?

If you set up two DNS servers on public IP addresses on your home network,
register those hosts with a registrar (e.g. NSI), and register domains to
point to those servers, queries for those domains will be directed to your
servers. In this scenario, the only zone file replication that normally
will take place is that between your own two servers.

If you set up secondaries at another location as well (this is usually a
good idea), the off-site secondary servers will replicate with - i.e. pull
zone transfers from - your primary, just as your on-site secondary will.

> Would i have to talk to my ISP to allow zone queries to my DNS server at
> home ?

Not unless they impose some kind of restrictive traffic policy on you. If
you have an unlimited IP connection, the world will be able to connect to
your DNS servers. If, OTOH, your ISP blocks incoming connections to your
network (maybe because they don't allow their users to run servers, or
maybe for security), you need to either have them lift the restriction, or
have them (or someone else) run your servers for you.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>