setting up own dns ??

steve mazingazusa at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:05:30 UTC 2000

I think i successfully setup the primary and secondary name server at home
with linux(bind). I can use it to look up other domain names ...
but here is my problem... Why can it be use to lookup my Domain name. I have
entered my two primary/secondary when registering with INTERNIC...
My simple logic is following..
1) a user looks up my domain let's say www.xxxxxx.com
2) It will use some ISP/other DNS to look up the domain name.
3) INTERNIC will let them know where it is...by pointing those query to my
DNS sever at home ?
4) my dns will let them know where my www server is..

Not sure whether it is my setup or... something else... ??? Help !!!

"Thor Kottelin" <thor at anta.net> wrote in message
news:3896AF7F.D867C792 at anta.net...

> BIND Users Mailing List wrote:
>
> > From: "steve" <mazingazusa at hotmail.com>
>
> > Here is my dilemma in setting up my own dns server at home.  I just got
> > DSL service installed and was given 2 ip address. I wish to set-up my
own
> > DNS server at home.. (primary and second name server). Can this be done
?

> Generally speaking, yes.
>
> > without going through ISP ?
>
> Generally speaking, no; since you're connected to the Internet through
> your ISP, your Internet traffic will have to pass through them.
>
> > I guess my real question is... if i setup
> > primary and secondary name server and register my domain name with
INTERNIC,