setting up own dns ??

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Thu Feb 3 11:42:38 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "steve" <mazingazusa at hotmail.com>

> I think i successfully setup the primary and secondary name server at home
> with linux(bind). I can use it to look up other domain names ...
> but here is my problem... Why can it be use to lookup my Domain name. I have
> entered my two primary/secondary when registering with INTERNIC...
> My simple logic is following..
> 1) a user looks up my domain let's say www.xxxxxx.com
> 2) It will use some ISP/other DNS to look up the domain name.
> 3) INTERNIC will let them know where it is...by pointing those query to my
> DNS sever at home ?
> 4) my dns will let them know where my www server is..
>
> Not sure whether it is my setup or... something else... ??? Help !!!

Your logic is basically correct. However, without even knowing the name of
your domain, unfortunately there's not much anyone can do to help you
troubleshoot it.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>