Secondary not updating?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 10 18:48:37 UTC 2000

In article <38A2FAF9.AC4F56A7 at intercom.com>,
Jason J. Horton <jason at intercom.com> wrote:
>I have 2 nameservers running bind 8.2.2P5. One is the master for a zone,
>the other is a slave for the zone. In the master zone file, I set the TTL
>like so:
>$TTL		86400
>@                       IN      SOA etc. etc...
>
>On the master, I have made changes to the zone on atleast a weekly basis,
>sometimes a daily basis, yet when I look on the secondary machine, I see
>the serial is almost 2 months old and it has ancient RRs. Restarting the
>named process on the secondary does not seem to cause it to renew the info.
>I have to manually remove all the secondary files, kill the process and
>start it again. Only after doing this does the information update properly.
>Am I doing something wrong? Is there a reason why the secondary is not getting
>updated info every 24 hours?

Actually, the frequency of secondary updates should be based on the Refresh
time, not the TTL; the TTL only controls caching servers.

Also, if both servers are running BIND 8, the master should send NOTIFY
messages to the slave, telling it to refresh immediately after a change has
been loaded.

Check the log file on the slave server to see if it's getting errors
relating to the zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com