DNS PROBLEM

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 14 21:44:01 UTC 2000

In article <38A85B67.1924B5F1 at otenet.gr>, JIM  <bm-nibstx at otenet.gr> wrote:
> try to configure DNS on my linux box (Suse 6.3) for a single domain.
>I  read DNS howto but
>I  cannot do name resolution. I  got the following message  during bind
>start-up
>
>startting named 8.2.2
>hint zone ""(IN) loaded (serial0)
>Zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"(file 127.0.0 zone : No default TTL set using
>SOA minimum instead

You need to add a '$TTL' statement to the beginning of the 127.0.0 file.

>listening on [127.0.0.1].53  (lo)
>listening on [192.X.Y.3].53 (eth0)
>forwarding source address is [0.0.0.0].1025
>Ready to answer queries
>sysquery:findns error (NXDOMAIN) on  mydomain.gr.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa

In the 127.0.0 file, you have

	IN NS  mydomain.gr

that should be:

	IN NS  mydomain.gr.

>Why i got 0.0.0.0 as the address of the localhost;

That means that it will let the OS select the source address, because you
didn't override the default with the 'query-source' option.  It's normal.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com