Truely Weird Problem

wczimmerman at my-deja.com wczimmerman at my-deja.com
Thu Feb 17 16:05:31 UTC 2000

I am setting up an e-mail flow from a Microsloth Exchange server to my
local Linux machine.  I can send e-mail out with sendmail (8.9.3), but I
cannot receive.  From another Linux machine, I tried sending a test
message, and I got a Hostname Lookup Failure in the log.  Nslookup knows
my IP (both forward and reverse), and I can ping my hostname.  This
problem seems to be across the board on all UNIX and NT systems (I
eventually got a return message from exchange stating the same error
when I tried to send e-mail from MS to [user at hostname.domain.com]),
and the AIX machines have the 'smarthost" parameter used to send e-mail
to the Exchange box.  It is almost like sendmail is not even trying DNS
before failing.  What am I missing?

 Any help is greatly appreciated

 Chris Zimmerman

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/