What's needed to change primary dns to one with new domainname?

Joakim Schramm joakim at humanet.se
Sat Feb 19 19:29:56 UTC 2000

Len Conrad skrev:

> Hi Joakim,
>
> >not got the time for) to deal with: The primary domain (aka - the pimary
> >dns) is registered to (and owned by - I suppose) his company and I can't
> >just easy "take it over" (infact it's imposible as its a .se domain).
>
> you mean the "registered host" that you use as master DNS is an .se domain?

The host and domain making up the FQDN of the box is ns.humanet.se
(195.22.70.181) and is registered on my friend and his bussiness name,
but he don't own the server anymore - I do and want to repace this with
one of the domains owned by me. You can't "trade" .se domains as with
.com or other top level domains because of Nic-Se very restrictive
policy of names under the .se top domain - You can't even name it what
you want or own more the one .se domain!!!

> >But for many reasons I would like the Pri-dns be changed to be one fully
> >controled by me.
>
> How that DNS behaves depends on its named.conf and zone files, not the
> nic.se or whatever they use up there.

Yes I understand this, but is there anywere I explicity have to report
"Hi! this is host.domain.com and I will make use of the IP 195.22.70.181
as physical home for domain.com, with the primary nameserver
ns.domain.com. From here on the domain humanet.se instead will be at
195.22.70.183 with ns.domain.com as nameserver."

> >How to get along?
>
> If the domain is owned by that company, talk to them.

Well, everything is owned by me (and my company) except the name
"humanet.se", and I can't be the owner of that name because of nic-se
policy. Notting else.

> >to figure out a the (safe) way to do this.
>
> you manage the DNS config and zone files (I assume you have super user
> access to that machine?) like any other DNS.

Yes, I'm the super user, but it's not so much the actuall dns
configuration as such that puzzles me, but the relation to the Internet
and its rules and regulation.

Maybe my mind is "jailed" from the governing we apply under here from
Nic-se, and actually I'm not sure about weather my servers physical
location matter in this scenario. The domain I want to setup as the
registered host is either a .com or .nu (which have become something of
an exile domain replacing the .se top domain).

> >Questions that puzzles me is like if I need to get some specific "NIC
> >handle" from Internic etc.?
>
> You can get one at RIPE or at nic.se or whatever it's called in .se.

Is this something you "apply" for or (RIPE)? I don't wanna have anything
to do with Nic-se (if not nessesarry) - and I believe you can guess why.

A parentes is that I have tried to get some answers out of my freind I
took over all this from, but he have totaly lost the interest and is
just a full time father when not at his normal work.

> >Can I possibly setup the new primary
> >"paralell" with the old, sharing the same IP? - it got to be on the same
> >IP.
>
> no, one physical host per ip.

Ok, guessed so too.

> >There is also two scenarios I'm thinking about. One is to use one of my
> >own domains now living as "Virtual"
>
> But the ns records for the domains use the host name and ip address of the
> current .se.

yes I know - and that's the problem :( I understand all (virtual)
domains on server would need to have their pointers in the dns
registration database changed to the new ns.domain.com - right? But can
this be done automaticly by propagation or does they all need to to this
manually and explicit? Which may involve costs.

> >and the second (most wanted) is to
> >transfer a .com domain I currently have hosted on an other server (not
> >run by me).
>
> this sounds fine, if you have a public ip address to which to run that
> domain on.

Well, I have IP addresses - 15 of them, but only one box. I could of
cause bring up an other box, but that involve some practical
diffriculties I like to spare me.

What I simply speaking want to do is to replace ns.humanet.se, either by
register a newdomain.com and rename the box to be it and seve as a
primary dns for my virtual domains OR move a excistingdomain.com (now
hosted at easyspace.com) to be my box. I'm just not familar with the
procedure and posible Internet technical/policy issues.

Is it may like I have to involve the company who owns the Internet
connection and which I rent a node from (including some IP adresses),
like a server hotel?

/Joakim