I need help

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Wed Feb 23 09:24:07 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: Mob-Rules <mob-rules at telocity.com>

> I registered a domain name with internic after Telocity said it was fine
> and now need a way to get a DNS mapping to point to my in-home server.
> This is the info you get when signing up ->
>
> Can I register my IP address with Internic?
>                                                              The IP
> address will be registered to telocity.com. This does not
>                                                              prevent you
> from registering a different domain name and providing a
>                                                              DNS mapping
> to this IP address.
>
> Problem is (after I did that and got all the info from telocity) they
> will not perform the DNS mapping for you.  They said plenty of people
> will but I sure can't find any.
> Can someone help?  I can, if I have to, make a NS but how does the NS
> talk to other nameservers (wouldn't they just reject it)?

The registry (e.g. NSI for "com.") will have added your domain to their
zone files. Using NS records, they'll point DNS queries for your domain to
the name servers you specified when you registered your domain. From that
point on, it's up to you to run (either yourself, or by outsourcing) name
servers that provide information about hosts in your domain.

Thor

--
If you send me mail, please use PGP.
My public key is available on key servers.

For web hosting, see <URL:http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>.