out of memory

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Feb 23 22:46:57 UTC 2000

> Mark,
>
>    Thank you for your reply.
>
>    I read in another post you made stating that setting a datasize
> can force named to take more memory.  What is confusing is how do
> you test or verify that named will now take the additional memory?

	'ps' will show you what it is currently using.

> And is there an easy way to see what the process sees as it's limit
> besides monitoring it until it dies?

	limit / ulimit can be used to see what the current limits are.

>    I also received another response from a gentleman that stated
> even if "options { datasize #; };" is set, the OS may restrict
> usage based on the user.  That kinda falls back on verifying that
> named grabbed the memory you told it to take.

	datasize controls the virtual memory usage.  Depending apon
	the OS you can also control the real memory usage, i.e. how
	much of your virtual memory is mapped to real memory at any
	time.  On some OSs a individual process can only get half of
	the real memory available to processes even if the other memory
	is not in use.

	named requires that the OS supports a resident set size (RSS)
	that is > 90% of its VM size or else its performance will degrade
	fast.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com