In DNS Hell Redefined

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Feb 23 22:53:12 UTC 2000

In article <sb8erlb5r2a133 at corp.supernews.com>,
Abbie <abbie at spystop.com> wrote:
>I am new to Unix. DSN is currently working, however, I am trying to add five
>additional domain names. Example: www.kidspy.com. I created a file called
>db.kidspy, I increased the serial number by one (all other db. files have
>the serial number of 1999120101) , and augmented the named.boot and
>resolv.conf to reflect this new domain. I located the PID and killed the
>in.named file. The nslookup command states "incite005.lockpicking.com can't
>find www.kidspy.com: Non-existent host/domain". If it is worth knowing, we
>are using Netscape Enterprise Suitespot and not using NIS. Did I miss adding
>information somewhere. This is a great newsgroup. Thank you all for your
>assistance.

The registration of your domain says that the DNS servers are ns1.indy.net
and ns2.indy.net.  It looks like you only added your domain to
incite005.kidspy.com, but not those servers.  My guess is they're supposed
to be configured as slave servers for this domain, like they are for your
other domains.

You also should add NS records for them to all your domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com