nsupdate returned REFUSED

James Hall-Kenney JHall at sytec.co.nz
Wed Feb 23 22:45:22 UTC 2000

All,

I have written a PERL script that reads ascii files dumped from an oracle
database and uses nsupdate to populate the DNS based on the "read" records.

The process ran well and correctly added over 30,000 records but for some
reason 2 records received a "REFUSED" error from nsupdate.  I do have an ACL
restricting zone updates but these requests are all coming from the same
host.  What is more, there are no "unapproved update" errors in the logs of
the master which I would have expected for a "REFUSED" error.

One thing I did notice is that at same time as these updates occured, the
following was logged on the master:
> 22-Feb-2000 22:02:59.146 notify: info: suppressing duplicate notify
("zone.org.nz" IN SOA)

This, even though I have "notify	no" in the server section of the
named.conf on the master.

Unfortunately I did not log the nsupdate output as logging the output of
30,000 records would fill up the logs too quickly.  I am writing an
enhancement to log the nsupdate output for failed records.

Adding the 2 failed records manually from nsupdate after the script worked
fine.

Although 2 out of 30,000+ is not bad, I'd like to eliminate this altogether.
Anyone got any ideas what could cause this?  The master is a Sun Enterprise
250 with truckloads (technical term) of disk and RAM and the machine
performing the updates is an HP box of similar stature.

TIA

J.

James Hall-Kenney
jhall at sytec.co.nz