nsupdate returned REFUSED

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Feb 23 23:40:39 UTC 2000

> All,
>
> I have written a PERL script that reads ascii files dumped from an oracle
> database and uses nsupdate to populate the DNS based on the "read" records.
>
> The process ran well and correctly added over 30,000 records but for some
> reason 2 records received a "REFUSED" error from nsupdate.  I do have an ACL
> restricting zone updates but these requests are all coming from the same
> host.  What is more, there are no "unapproved update" errors in the logs of
> the master which I would have expected for a "REFUSED" error.

	"Unapproved update" is generated when client is not allowed to make
	any updates.  You can have a approved update but still have it
	REFUSED in later processing.  Yes it will be logged.

	Take all the logged output and remove what you know is not an error.
	What is left should tell you what the problem was.

> One thing I did notice is that at same time as these updates occured, the
> following was logged on the master:
> > 22-Feb-2000 22:02:59.146 notify: info: suppressing duplicate notify
> ("zone.org.nz" IN SOA)
>
> This, even though I have "notify	no" in the server section of the
> named.conf on the master.

	Well "notify no;" should be in a zone section or the options
	section.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com