Changing IP address of NameServer

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 24 21:32:00 UTC 2000

In article <893vfc$5fo$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Kyle Witherspoon  <kwitherspoon at my-deja.com> wrote:
>I've got a problem...(yes..I bought the O'reilly book on BIND and DNS
>and no luck) We have a name server which we are moving to an entirely
>new subnet with a diff range of IPs....(the server also is a virtual
>webhost) How do I change the Ip address of the name server and plug it
>into the new subnet and change the ips of all the virtual hosts with the
>smallest amount of downtime? If I change the HOST w/ Internic, when will
>they update it? Do I then have to drive 90 MPH to our new NOC in 10
>minutes to then change every zone file? There has to be a easier (?)
>way....thanks...appreciate any bone someone can throw...or at least a
>FAQ or HOWTO I can read

The best way to do this is to leave the nameserver running at the old
address and bring up a *new* server at the new address.  Configure one as a
master and the other as a slave.  You can then change the IP addresses of
all the virtual hosts to point to the new subnet.  When you reload the
zone, both servers will give out the new virtual host addresses.

Then you submit the address change to InterNIC by filling out a Modify Host
form.  It will change overnight in the WHOIS database, and over the next
night in the TLD servers.  Because of the delay in propagating the COM zone
to all the secondary servers and caching of the old address record, the
change won't be instantaneous.  Glue records in the COM domain have 2-day
TTLs, so you should keep the server running at the old address for 2 days
after the gTLD servers are updated.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com