nameserver question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 3 17:16:56 UTC 2000

In article <3870BAC2.E646A1E8 at mycomm.com>,
Milan Yagodich  <milan at mycomm.com> wrote:
>I know this sounds stupid, but do the two name servers that are
>registered with internic and the nameservers that are listed by my ISP
>have to be the same?
>
>The reason I ask is that my ISP does not have them the same and I am
>having problems.

They don't have to be the same.  But all the servers that are listed in
either place need to be authoritative for the zone.

>Since my ISP does the zone updates, what is the significance of the
>nameservers listed with internic?  I am missing something really basic
>here.

I assume the domain we're discussing is MYCOMM.COM, right?

The problem isn't that they're different, the problem is that the servers
that the ISP lists don't have the zone installed on them.  One of them,
ntwebsp.websp.com, has the same address as the registered server
ns2.websp.com, but it returns a SERVFAIL error when I query it.  The other
server, ns.knight-hub.com, doesn't have the zone installed on it, either.
So you only get a proper response when you query ns.websp.com, and the
response it returns includes referrals to use incorrect servers in the
future.

Tell your ISP to get their act together.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com