nslookup can't find my domain

Francis A. Vidal francis at usls.edu
Mon Jan 10 10:30:40 UTC 2000

---- Quoting Jim Reid's message, sent 01/10/00 9:45am ----

>     Francis> i've also noticed that while running nslookup and just
>     Francis> typing my domain, usls.edu, gives me:
>
>     Francis> [03:19pm] [root at atlas /root]# nslookup
>     Francis> Default Server:  atlas.usls.edu
>     Francis> Address:  192.168.1.1
>
>     Francis> > usls.edu
>     Francis> Server:  atlas.usls.edu
>     Francis> Address:  192.168.1.1
>
>     Francis> *** atlas.usls.edu can't find usls.edu: Non-existent host/domain
>
>     Francis> but when i specify `set q=any', it spits out all possible
>     Francis> information for my domain. is this "normal" for a split
>     Francis> DNS environment?
>
> It's normal behaviour but has nothing to do with split DNS. By default
> nslookup asks for A records. So if the name being looked up doesn't
> have an A record, the name server replies with an NXDOMAIN error code
> which nslookup prints as "Non-existent host/domain". [Actually, if the
> name exists as a CNAME, the name server will return that RR.] When the
> query type is set to any, the name server returns all the RR types
> that exist for the name. This explains why a lookup of "any" for your
> domain returns its SOA, NS, MX, etc records when a default query
> doesn't.

hmmm... i think you're right. i've removed any RR that directly translates
to the the domain name, USLS.EDU, and that's why it confused me. is it
okay to give a domain name an A record? i've read a document somewhere
that discourages this kind of practice.

> The reason you get an answer when looking up yahoo.com is because this
> domain has two A records for that name. Compare an answer for that
> lookup with one that set the query type to "any".

i get your point, thanks for the information.

> BTW, use dig for DNS lookups and troubleshooting. It's far superior to
> nslookup.

i'll try to use it more often next time.

--
francis vidal	university of st. la salle, bacolod city, philippines
. . . . . . .	PGP key available via e-mail / subject: get PGP key