Domain name as hostname

Jack Wenzinger jwenzinger at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:05:08 UTC 2000

I have a requirement to create a DNS entry so that our domain is also a
device that resolves to our www.company.com.  I had thought that this could
be accomplished by creating a CNAME record like:

company.com.   IN    CNAME   www.company.com.

This worked on the Primary server, however it created two problems:

The secondary server could no longer obtain the db.company file, it would
now look at the www.company.com server for the file.

The other problem is that mail was affected.  There is a statement for mail:

comany.com.    IN    MX   5   mailserver1.company.com

This statement precedes the CNAME statement above.

Anyone know the proper way to set this up?  I wasn't able to find the info
out of the Oreilly book.

Thanks is advance for the hand holding.

Jack