Newbie Q - Can't resolve external queries

Phil Elia pelia at slip.net
Sat Jan 15 20:51:45 UTC 2000

Barry,

Thanks for responding and sorry for being vague about this problem.

This is a firewall situation where our parent site (company.com) provides
firewall protection for most of the subdomains.  Furthermore, most
subdomains have no internal DNS servers running.  WinNT lans use the WINS
facility and Host files.  All external queries have to pass through the two
company.com name servers. Our site is one of the few sites that have
internal DNS running.  We're the only site with an WinNT Bind DNS
implementation.

When I run nslookup all external queries (yahoo.com, cisco.com) fail.  Also,
I cannot nslookup to the two company.com nameservers either.  I can nslookup
to the root servers in db.cache.  By first setting the server to
a.root-servers.net then setting server to the company.com name server (if
found it only using IP address) I was able to set type=ns and see the
delegation for oursite.company.com.

First, the company.com DNS admins told me to make two entries in db.cache
for the two company.com nameservers.  I did this and nothing improved.  Now
they are telling me that I need two IN NS entries for the two company.com
nameservers in the db files.

They said nothing about opening up port 53 and setting forwarders up.

Can you tell me if forwarders are still the way to go?

Thanks Much,

Phil Elia

news:ExRf4.93$%%2.872 at burlma1-snr2...