Newbie Q - Can't resolve external queries

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Jan 15 03:09:24 UTC 2000

In article <387fb629.1152122437 at news.slip.net>,
Phil Elia <pelia at slip.net> wrote:
>This is probably BIND 101 stuff but I'm hoping someone can help me.
>Can't seem to resolve any external queries.
>
>Been running Bind 4.9.7 of WinNT network internally for some time.
>Got a couple of name servers running locally and all internal DNS
>works  fine.
>
>I'm now attempting to connect our sub domain to our parent domain for
>Internet access.  Our parent has delegated two name servers at their
>end for our domain.  Ex. oursite.company.com = parentNS1.company.com
>                           oursite.company.com = parentNS2.company.com

If you already have servers running locally for your site, why did they
delegate your subdomain to those other nameservers?

>The db.cache file at our site is current and is being queried by our
>nameservers at startup.
>
>There are no references to the parent name servers in any of our db
>files.  Should there be? Where should these entries be located and
>what is the syntax?
>
>Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

I'm having trouble understanding the problem you're trying to solve.  You
start out saying that you can't look up *external* named, by which I assume
you mean things like www.yahoo.com.  But then you said "I'm now attempting
to connect our sub domain to our parent domain".  Which names are you
having trouble looking up -- names in company.com or names outside of
company.com?

To look up external names, you just need to be able to communicate with the
Internet.  The db.cache file tells you where the root servers are, and
they'll tell you where the servers for yahoo.com are, and your server will
query them.  If this doesn't work, a common reason is that your company has
a firewall that's blocking the queries or the responses -- they need to
allow port 53 back in to your nameservers.  If they only want to allow DNS
in to the main corporate nameservers, you could configure your local
nameservers to use them as "forwarders".

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com