Wildcards in bind?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 17 20:58:09 UTC 2000

In article <85tgtv$tp8$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
M. Oesterwinter <marcuso at saul4.u.washington.edu> wrote:
>I would like to setup a bind server that will do nothing but send all
>queries to it to one address.  Meaning, I want to be able to put the
>nameserver on all my registrations of domain names, and have them all sent
>to one IP address without adding records for each domain name.  Is this
>possible?  If not with bind, any other dns server software?

The servers that you register are required to be authoritative servers.
You can configure the server with the "forwarders" option so that it will
forward queries to the actual servers, but it will cache the results.  As a
result, successive queries for the same name will be resolved from the
cache and will be non-authoritative.

What it sounds like you want is a kind of DNS proxy.  BIND doesn't do it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com