Wildcards in bind?

M. Oesterwinter marcuso at saul4.u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 18 04:01:47 UTC 2000

I am sorry, I think I worded the question wrong.  I want to have one
website, and have it send all requests to any domain to one IP.  Meaning
say right now I have the following domains:
catsforsale.com
dogsforsale.com
zebrasforsale.com
donkeysforsale.com

Any time someone wants to view one of these pages, I want them to resolve
to the webserver that is on IP address 192.168.1.14 which is
coolpetsforsale.com.  The trick is, I don't want to have to add zone
records every time I add a new domain.  I want this nameserver to resolve
all IP addresses to 192.168.1.14, that way, down the road, I can add the
following domains without setting up new zones on the DNS server:
horsesforsale.com
girblesforsale.com
zebrasforsale.org

Is it possible to somehow implement some wildcard that will accomplish my
goals?  If not, is it a fundemental DNS issue that prevents it from
working?

Any input is much appreciated!

BTW, domain names and IP addresses shown are fictitious in case it wasn't
obvious enough....

Barry Margolin (barmar at bbnplanet.com) wrote:
: In article <85tgtv$tp8$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
: M. Oesterwinter <marcuso at saul4.u.washington.edu> wrote:
: >I would like to setup a bind server that will do nothing but send all
: >queries to it to one address.  Meaning, I want to be able to put the
: >nameserver on all my registrations of domain names, and have them all sent
: >to one IP address without adding records for each domain name.  Is this
: >possible?  If not with bind, any other dns server software?

: The servers that you register are required to be authoritative servers.
: You can configure the server with the "forwarders" option so that it will
: forward queries to the actual servers, but it will cache the results.  As a
: result, successive queries for the same name will be resolved from the
: cache and will be non-authoritative.

: What it sounds like you want is a kind of DNS proxy.  BIND doesn't do it.

: --
: Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
: GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
: *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
: Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.