How to Register Domain to Linux on my CableModem (RoadRunner)

Mike Pelley mike at pelley.com
Tue Jan 18 20:28:53 UTC 2000

> I want to register a domain name at network solutions and
> host it on my static IP# from my cable modem.  When I
> register the domain it asks for a primary and secondary
> name server.  How do I use my Linux computer (RedHat 6.1)
> to make it work.

Network Solutions will not allow you to use your linux machine as a domain
name server because the RoadRunner folks own that IP address.  You will have
to find name servers somewhere else, ask them to point your new domain to
your IP, and then use their name servers' ip's in the registration.

Good Luck!  Mike.