How to Register Domain to Linux on my CableModem (RoadRunner)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 20 02:27:03 UTC 2000

Mike Pelley wrote:

> > I want to register a domain name at network solutions and
> > host it on my static IP# from my cable modem.  When I
> > register the domain it asks for a primary and secondary
> > name server.  How do I use my Linux computer (RedHat 6.1)
> > to make it work.
>
> Network Solutions will not allow you to use your linux machine as a domain
> name server because the RoadRunner folks own that IP address.  You will have
> to find name servers somewhere else, ask them to point your new domain to
> your IP, and then use their name servers' ip's in the registration.

Huh? Since when does Network Solutions know, much less care about, the
"owner" of the address your nameserver is on? This is news to me. We used to
have almost all of our marketing domains (4adodge.com, etc.) hosted by an
advertising agency: we owned the domains, someone else entirely owned the
IP addresses of the nameservers. Didn't bother Network Solutions a bit.

Setting up the reverse zone for a single address, on the other hand, can get
sticky if your upstream provider isn't willing to create the appropriate
RFC 2317 CNAME for you. But that has nothing to do with Network Solutions or
IP address ownership.

The simple answer to the question is: get the _DNS_and_BIND_ book, which
explains how to set up and manage domains. Since having at least 2 nameservers
for the domain is a hard requirement, you'll also need to make arrangements for
someone else to be a slave.