Can't get email

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jan 27 19:06:30 UTC 2000

    Chris> I have a mail server names mail.moewes.com which is listed
    Chris> as the mx record for goatfest.com. However whenever I try
    Chris> to send email to it from outside (i.e. yahoo mail of
    Chris> hotbot) I get an error message that says,

    Chris> Message from yahoo.com.  Unable to deliver message to the
    Chris> following address(es).

    Chris> <chris at goatfest.com>: Sorry, I couldn't find a mail
    Chris> exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

You are mistaken. The MX record for goatfest.com points at
mail.moewes.com.goatfest.com. This name does not exist in the
DNS. That means there's nowhere for the rest of the world to send
their mail for goatfest.com. Hence the bounced mail...

You probably forgot a trailing dot on the MX record in goatfest.com's
zone file, which meant the current domain - goatfest.com - was
appended to that unterminated name when the zone was loaded.