newbie pains

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 12 22:33:45 UTC 2000

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > downloaded and set up dnswalk but when I execute ./dnswalk it tells me, "No
> > such file or directory" even though ls shows it plain as day.  ????  I feel
> > frustrated.
>
> Do an 'ls | od -c | more' to find the hidden characters.  There may be
> another explanation, but I am assuming that you have, multiple times,
> typed in  v e r y   c a r e f u l l y  the command one character at a
> time, so as to avoid mistakes.

Actually, a more likely explanation is that Perl doesn't happen to exist at
/usr/local/bin/perl on the original poster's system. If that's the case, then
they need to either a) change the interpreter line (the "#!" line at the top of
the dnswalk script) to reflect where Perl lives on their system, or b) just tell
Perl to source the file via "perl dnswalk" (assuming that Perl is in their
command path). If the original poster doesn't have Perl _at_all_ on their
system, then they're basically out of luck, unless they're prepared to convert
dnswalk into some other language...