I'm getting closer - I can do a nslookup but I can't ping - huh?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 13 00:26:53 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 05:04:53PM -0700, Steven M. Klass wrote:
> 	Ok, I finally getting somewhere.  Why can I do an nslookup of
> anydomain.com and get the ip, but when I ping anydomain.com i get
> zilch.  Now if I ping the IP of anydomain.com, I get something.  What's
> goin on around here?  Any Ideas?

I don't remember what type of system you are on, but some will allow
you to adjust whether regular name lookups use /etc/hosts, DNS, NIS, or
possibly some other techniques.

Under Solaris or Linux, /etc/nsswitch.conf must contain something like
	hosts:	files nisplus nis dns
or just
	hosts:	files dns
if you aren't using NIS.

Under Tru64 Unix, Digital Unix, or OSF/1, /etc/svc.conf must contain
something like
	hosts=local,bind
I also find a file, /etc/svcorder, that contains

	local
	bind
I find no documentation for this file.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B