I'm getting closer - I can do a nslookup but I can't ping - huh?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 13 01:13:27 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 05:29:06PM -0700, Steven M. Klass wrote:
> Boy talk about adding even more confusion.  My clients can ping by name,
> using Linux box as a DNS resolver.  But, the Linux box can't ping by
> name?  Huh.
>
> Example:
> I can ping 204.71.200.243 (yahoo.com) with my linux box (DNS machine)
> I can't ping yahoo.com with my linux box.
> I can ping yahoo.com with an NT box using linux for DNS server.
> I can ping 204.71.200.243 (yahoo.com) from NT using the Linux Box as a DNS
> server.
>
> Ok, now what...  I really am stumped.

As several people have mentioned:

(1) Your Linux box is running a name server daemon.

(2) Other systems that are configured to use DNS for name resolution
and to use your Linux box as their name server can use that daemon as
their name server.

(3) Your Linux box could also use the daemon running on it as its name
server ... IF it were configured to use DNS for name resolution.

(4) Your Linux box is not configured to use DNS for name resolution.

(5) If you turn on DNS for name resolution, as described in several
messages, then you have already configured your Linux box to use the
daemon running on itself for name resolution ... so it will start
working.

Capish?  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B