I'm getting closer - I can do a nslookup but I can't ping - huh?

Steven M. Klass sklass at andigilog.com
Thu Jul 13 00:29:06 UTC 2000

At 06:23 PM 7/12/00 -0600, M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com wrote:

>Is your client workstation configured to use your name server?  (or at
>least use DNS for lookups?)
>
>For example:
>Are you running Solaris and has the ip address changed? -- Solaris AND
>others cache old lookups for a while.
>Also on Solaris check /etc/nsswitch.conf to see if your system is even
>using DNS.  (nslookup always does).  Other OSs have similar issues.
>
>Ping asks the OS and uses OS defaults which may not point to your name
>server or even query using DNS.  nslookup always uses dns for queries and
>on most UNIX flavors uses /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver info.
>
>Hope this helps,

Boy talk about adding even more confusion.  My clients can ping by name,
using Linux box as a DNS resolver.  But, the Linux box can't ping by
name?  Huh.

Example:
I can ping 204.71.200.243 (yahoo.com) with my linux box (DNS machine)
I can't ping yahoo.com with my linux box.
I can ping yahoo.com with an NT box using linux for DNS server.
I can ping 204.71.200.243 (yahoo.com) from NT using the Linux Box as a DNS
server.

Ok, now what...  I really am stumped.

Steven
Steven M. Klass