root nameservers

Thomas Duterme thomas at madeforchina.com
Fri Jul 14 17:09:36 UTC 2000

Hi Folks,

I'm curious to how Bind will know which root server to query if it needs to
query the root.  What type of algorithm is in place to balance the load on
the root servers?  I assume this is implemented on querying side (ie. cycle
down the list of potential authoritative root servers)

Also, who are the specific people who run the root servers?  How did they
get that job?  Can they get fired and if so, by whom?  What standards do
they follow (so far, I've only found rfc 2870)?  Who pays these folks too?
How can I one day be a root server admininstrator? ;D

Curiously yours,
Thomas