root nameservers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jul 14 12:09:05 UTC 2000

    Thomas> I'm curious to how Bind will know which root server to
    Thomas> query if it needs to query the root.  What type of
    Thomas> algorithm is in place to balance the load on the root
    Thomas> servers?

It's done by round trip time, same as for queries to any other name
servers. Your name server will tend to pick the name server that
answers quickest. There are heuristics so that your server will
periodically check the RTTs to other servers, just in case one has
become faster at responding than the one it currently favours. This
approach also deals with dead or unreachable name servers. Queries to
them have an infinite RTT, but they get checked from time to time too,
just in case they have come available.

    Thomas> Also, who are the specific people who run the root
    Thomas> servers?  How did they get that job?  Can they get fired
    Thomas> and if so, by whom?  What standards do they follow (so
    Thomas> far, I've only found rfc 2870)?  Who pays these folks too?

Root servers are run by a number of different organisations. [For
obvious reasons, diversity is good when it comes to root servers.]
They were chosen for that role (or they inherited it by default) from
the earliest days of the Internet. Network Solutions runs a
couple. The WIDE project in Japan operates one. NASA runs one. The US
military runs 2. One is operated by RIPE. ISI/IANA/ICANN have a
couple. Another is managed by the ISC, etc, etc. An up to date
root.cache file will have brief details of where the root servers are
located and who runs them.  The people who run those servers could get
fired, just like anybody else who's employed. However moving these
servers or shifting them to another authority is fraught with
political and technical problems. www.icann.org probably should have
some background information on the root servers. IIUC, the
organisations running root servers meet the costs of providing that
service out of their budgets.

    Thomas> How can I one day be a root server admininstrator?

Well if you have to ask, you're probably not suitably qualified. :-)
Apply for a job as a DNS administrator at one of the organisations
that runs a root server. Dazzle them with your DNS skills and
experience at running a 24x7 mission critical service. I suppose.