named is causing severe traffic

Piet Pelz ppz at mail.com
Fri Jul 14 20:03:08 UTC 2000

Desperate as I am I am reffering to the list to find a solution
for my problem.

Situation:

Box gw runs Linux firewall, masqerading and sqid over ippp ISDN
line with dynamic IP and dial on demand.

Box mx runs Linux mailserver and DNS (bind8.2 patchlevel 5) as
cahing only. Whenever I start named severe traffic is caused.
Listening to eth0 (connects the two boxes and the rest of the
net) by tcpdump shows that a connection is being made to the
forwarders (forward only) in the form

internal.domain.1088 > ns.out.there.domain: 4857+ NS? . (17)
internal.domain.1089 > ns.out.there.domain: 18630+ PTR? \
1.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (44)

every minute or so.

That keeps the line open on the dial on demand box although
nothing really happens on the mx box.

And, there are a lot of arp requests for the gateway, again every
minute or so.

Any ideas? What could I possibly have done wrong?

I read the DNS HowTo and named man page but I am still desperate.