scrathin my head..(named is dying)

Mark R. Nathan bind at nathan.net
Mon Jul 17 20:11:03 UTC 2000

On 7/17/00, DanO wanted to tell me:
>Where are th A records for the NameServers
>     "                     IN  NS          dns1.nathan.net"
>dns1 IN A "?????"
>Also, your only showing 1 nameserver in the SOA, you need 2
>Also, your not even showing a host file for dns1.nathan.net in the registry,
>so given someone else is providing DNS for your zone, I would say Named is
>probably working untill it talks to the root servers and sees dns1nathan.net
>is NOT the authority for nathan.net
>>Registrant:

Hey Dan!!

A record is inside the Master zone.. (correct me if I am wrong though..)

<<snip>>

$TTL 86400
nathan.net.             IN SOA   dns1.nathan.net.  root.nathan.net.  (
                          2000041901      ; Serial
                          10800           ; Refresh
                          3600            ; Retry
                          604800          ; Expire
                          86400  )        ; Minimum

                          IN  NS          dns1.nathan.net.
                          IN  A           209.204.28.46       <--- A RECORD?

<<snip>>

>Also, your only showing 1 nameserver in the SOA, you need 2

Yes,  I only have one at the moment.. but have a public secondary DNS
ready to put as #2.  Nonetheless.. that shouldn't keep my DNS from
working unless my connection died.

>Also, your not even showing a host file for dns1.nathan.net in the registry,
>so given someone else is providing DNS for your zone, I would say Named is
>probably working untill it talks to the root servers and sees dns1nathan.net
is NOT the authority for nathan.net Registrant:

dns1.nathan.net is a A file in NATHAN.NET (To clarify: NATHAN.NET is
being hosted by my main ISP at the moment.. until I feel confident
enough with my server system to move NATHAN.NET and all MX records
directly to this BSD server. With Quick DNS Pro and my old Mac DNS
server, I never had any problems like this.)

This might be a little unorthodox but should still work..correct?

Thanks Dan!!

Mark Nathan

    Mark R. Nathan                        http://www.miraboomusic.com
    Miraboo Group                   mailto:president at miraboomusic.com