scrathin my head..(named is dying)

DanO express at fastdial.net
Mon Jul 17 22:02:33 UTC 2000

    Is this computer hooked up to the internet on a dedicated line w/a
static IP.
If not, this whole debate is moot on certain points:

On the assumtion it is:
A record is inside the Master zone.. (correct me if I am wrong though..)

<<snip>>

$TTL 86400
nathan.net.             IN SOA   dns1.nathan.net.  root.nathan.net.  (
                          2000041901      ; Serial
                          10800           ; Refresh
                          3600            ; Retry
                          604800          ; Expire
                          86400  )        ; Minimum

                          IN  NS          dns1.nathan.net.
                          IN  A           209.204.28.46       <--- A RECORD?

<<snip>>
Dan Says NO NO NO NO . The blank space on the left 1st off is a syntax
error, because any blanks in the left side of the zone, assumes the last
entry.
Because you have both lines blank, named assumes the data to refer to
nathan.net., not to dns1.nathan.net
    Now if you wanted to argue the point " it should work" well, it isn't,
and I am only giving my "unqualified opinion" why it isn't working.
    Your record are contridicting what the internet say's. You can't
honestly expect to track down a possible software problem, when your
"Mickey-Mousing" the setup.
    Another point, Yes your record are setup as "masters".
BUT, you can screem till the cows come home & nothing will change the
authority for that zone until you put in a change to the registry..
    If this was a network not connected to the net, it could woork with a
few corrections in your zone files, and using a private network block.
P.S
 As I was writing this I got your other email. I cant tell you why it worked
on other OS's, but I can say that it's good its not and infecting other
servers on the net.
    If  you really want to learn how to do it right,
Get DNS & Bind by O'reilly, and read it cover to cover.