primary&secondary

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 17 20:06:08 UTC 2000

Jim Reid wrote:

>     Kevin> That will all change with "lwresd", won't it? Now you have
>     Kevin> a long-running process doing your name resolution for
>     Kevin> you...
>
> Not really. The lightweight resolver daemon in BIND9 is actually just
> the standard name server, albeit in a different guise. The lightweight
> resolver protocol (lwres) uses a different port number and packet
> format for handling lwres queries and replies. Currently lwres only
> has three operations: a ping function to test the server is there and
> get the version of lwres it supports; a getaddrsbyname and
> getnamebyaddr functions. No doubt more functionality will be added
> over time. And lwres packets are sent via the loopback interface,
> which means there's just one server to use. There's no rotation
> capability, at least not yet.

No, I don't mean that resolver routines will "rotate" talking to lwresd;
rather, lwresd, being a long-running process, should be able to reap the
benefits of "rotate" when talking to real nameservers (and of course
those benefits will also inure to the clients in the form of reduced
latency when one of the nameservers in the resolver list is down).