newbie MS DNS as Secondary for BIND

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jul 17 22:05:18 UTC 2000

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 02:16:02PM +0000, J!M wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> This should be easy.. but I haven't found an easy answer in my
> searching. I'm setting up BIND (8.2.2_P5-9) on a RedHat Linux
> box, to run DNS for multiple domains on a DSL connection. My
> ISP agreed to run secondary for me - they are using MS DNS on
> NT 4.0, and  Iget the idea thay haven't had to do this previously.
>
> In my named.conf OPTIONS secion, I list the IP of their DNS server
> in 'forwarders', and for each zone, I have it in the 'allow-transfer'. Is

The "forwarders" option has nothing to do with having them serve your
domain.  Unless you want to forward all queries that are not resolved
on your server to their server, you should leave that out.

You only needed the "allow-transfer" if you were intending to DISallow
transfers from all other systems.  As mentioned before, opinion differs
over whether you are better off doing this or not.

You must list all of your name servers - at least, all that you want
publicly known - on your zone file.  This would probably include your
ISP.  All of these servers would then be seen on the 'Net as "peer"
name servers - there is no master/slave [the current terms used for
primary/slave] from the client's point of view.

The ISP would have to set up a "slave" [secondary] zone, and declare
your server as its "master" [primary].

> this all I have to do on my end? I'm guessing that for each domain I
> have, I will have to ask them to add a zone record to their DNS as
> well...? Can someone with MS DNS experience give me the scoop
> here? What do I ask them to do now to enable this setup, and will I
> have to ask them to add a zone record for each zone I add in the
> future, or is the update "smart" enough to recognize new zones as
> well as updated zone data?

You must tell them each new zone that you want them to slave to.
Slaves are per-zone.  You can have one server slaved to some zones on
your host, and another server slaved to other zones, and your server
slaved to various zones on various other hosts.  So it makes no sense
for their server to be able to automatically pick up zones, because
that might not be what you wanted.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B