SV: primary&secondary

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jul 19 09:19:51 UTC 2000

    >> Well.. I wanna know if its possible to run the primary and
    >> slave name servers on a single linux box.

No. And even if you could, you'd be completely missing the point.
Running two or more name servers eliminates a single point of failure.
What happens to your DNS data if its only name server dies or becomes
unreachable from the rest of the net?

    Johnny> It is posible, but not good.  (One goes on port 53, and
    Johnny> the other on what ever a port you like)

This is just wrong. If a name server used some arbirary non-standard
port number for incoming queries, how would the rest or the world know
which port number to send their queries to.