Super-newbie needs help with configuring name server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jun 3 03:14:00 UTC 2000

Your first pair of queries verify that "ns1.flom2.com" is resolvable on the
local server (which is presumably master for the zone), but
"ns.fishnet.com" is not. This implies that your server has not been
configured with the proper Internet root "hints" file (if you are directly
Internet-connected) or with the necessary forwarding arrangement, to be
able to resolve Internet names.

Your third query verifies that "nslookup", moronic program that it is, will
fail over to the second nameserver in your resolver configuration (please
don't call it the "secondary", that's very confusing!) if it can't get a
PTR record for the first one. So it asked "ns.fishnet.com" about
"ns1.flom2.com", and unsurprisingly -- since "flom2.com" is not registered
on the Internet -- no data was found. If you want Internet nameservers and
the clients they serve to be able to resolve names in your domain, then you
have to register it. This costs a modest amount of money, and to register
in the "com" domain, the rule is that you have to provide at least 2
Internet-accessible nameserver to host your domain, for redundancy. So
you'd need at least 1 more server besides your master. If "fishnet" is your
ISP, then maybe you could arrange for them to be a slave for your domain.
They may even be able to handle the whole registration process for you, but
it's probably cheaper to do it yourself.

Additional recommendations:

Use "dig" rather than "nslookup" for DNS troubleshooting.

Obtain and read the _DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly.

- Kevin