Secondary with Granitecanyon

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley katokop1 at home.com
Sun Jun 4 21:59:00 UTC 2000

> I'm planning on running a primary master, and use Granitecanyon as a
> secondary.
>
> The curious thing is that Network Solutions wants me to specify two name
> servers for my domain.  Ok, one would expect before submitting a DNS change
> to Network Solutions (and on to the root servers) that the name servers
> should be up and running, right?
>
> Well, to create a secondary at Granitecanyon you tell them what your
> primary is, and then they do a zone transfer.  But since I don't have a
> secondary yet I can't update my record at Network Solutions, and that means
> Granitecanyon can't lookup my name server to do a zone transfer.
>
> I'm missing some thing here, as this seems like a chicken and egg problem.
> What step am I missing?

Um, I'm not to knowledgeable regarding issues of DNS, having done
essentially nothing with it, but the name registration SHOULDN'T matter for
the Granitecanyon secondary setup, as you should be able to just point them
to the IP of your primary name server.  Regardless of DNS registration, the
server can be reached, I presume, by way of its IP.  Simple as it may sound,
I -think- this should work (and it's probably what they expect you to
do...).  Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't that work?

Jonathan