problem with bind

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jun 5 14:58:27 UTC 2000

    Kapil> Hi, My remote server is running in US while I am in
    Kapil> India. the problem is that my server has stopped resolving
    Kapil> the ip address of one of the sites hosted on my system. a
    Kapil> total of 9 sites are running on my server. all working
    Kapil> properly execpt this one. whoat could be the reason.

Unless you told us the IP address and/or name of the domain - go on,
give us a clue! - or supplied a clearer description of the problem
it's hard to even guess at what the problem might be. What do you mean
by "the IP address of one of the sites"? Just one IP address or a
range of (contiguous?) addresses in use at some site? For most people,
a site is composed of a number of hosts, each of which has at least 1
IP address.

    Kapil> the configuration files for all the domains are created using
    Kapil> the same script and at present the conf file is ok.

How do you know that? Have you checked the name server's logs?

    Kapil> so when i nslookup from my machine in India this site it
    Kapil> says Non-Existent host/domain, but if i log on into the
    Kapil> remote machine the nslookup responds with the proper
    Kapil> address.

Well it looks like someone hasn't properly set up the DNS for reverse
lookups of the IP address of the name server in India. However, since
you didn't tell this list the name or address of that server or the IP
addresses that are used by the US and Indian resolvers - and how can
you expect someone to help you without providing that information? -
it's hard to say for sure if that's the problem. It would also have
helped if you'd showed us *exactly* what you typed to nslookup and
what it said back. BTW, you should be using dig or host for DNS
lookups and troubleshooting. nslookup is just dreadful.