easy question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 5 22:53:24 UTC 2000

Ah, searchlists. One of my pet peeves. I wish I could eradicate searchlists
completely from all resolver implementations. Why? As the man (page) says:

               Most resolver queries  are  attempted  using  each
               component of the search path in turn until a match
               is found. Note that this process may be  slow  and
               will  generate  a  lot  of  network traffic if the
               servers for the listed domains are not local. Also
               queries  will  time  out if no server is available
               for one of the domains.

               The  search  list  is  currently  limited  to  six
               domains with a total of 256 characters.

So if you want a wasteful, non-scalable, poorly-performing solution, use search
lists. If you want an efficient method free of any arbitrary restrictions, get
your users to form the habit of using fully-qualified names. It's what they have
to use for Internet email and Internet web browsing, so it's more consistent and
-- I would argue (and have successfully argued) -- more intuitive anyway. The
classic "too much typing" argument doesn't wash either, since this is the age of
point-and-click...

- Kevin