easy question

Alan J Rosenthal flaps at dgp.toronto.edu
Thu Jun 8 21:48:05 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> writes:
>If you want an efficient method free of any arbitrary restrictions, get
>your users to form the habit of using fully-qualified names. It's what
>they have to use for Internet email and Internet web browsing,

No more than for anything else.  If you have a search list of "example.com",
you can normally mail to user at fred if you're sending to user at fred.example.com.
You can certainly type http://www into your web browser if you're looking for
www.example.com.

The idea of appending every sub-part of the domain to the query is silly, I
agree.  I don't even much mind the rule which says to use the search list only
if the hostname being resolved doesn't have a dot in it.

But a deliberate search list has its uses, just like the ability to omit an
area code from local telephone calls.