Forwarders for one specific domain.

lpb at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM lpb at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Thu Jun 8 18:07:04 UTC 2000

Now to take this one step in a different direction: I want to have a domain
server which answers queries for only a small number of domains, and to
refuse to recursively answer any other queries. I did this with the
"allow-recursion { none; };" directive. However, I now want to answer
queries for some domains which I am not master/slave: I forward to those
domains. In order to accomplish this, I have to put "allow-recursion { any;
};" in the options field. I can _effectively_ terminate recursion by
removing the zone "." hint zone, but that give me "nlookup error on ?"
messages.

Why can't I be able to do this:

options {
         allow-recursion { none; };
};

zone "ztf.com" {
         type forward;
         forwarders { typically_unreachable_host; };
         forward only;
         allow-recursion { any; };
};

Is this something worth hacking in?

At 12:00 PM 6/8/00 , Cricket Liu wrote:
--- Begin Original Message ---
> > Our site cannot contact a dns server due to routing problems.
> > Fixing the routing is not an option.  However, we would like
> > to resolve the machines for that site.
> >
> > However, we have another DNS server available that is able to
> > resolve that (external) domain.  Is it possible to set a kind
> > of forwarders for this domain only?
>
>Sure.  You can use BIND 8.2+'s conditional forwarding
>feature:
>
>zone "zone-to-forward.com" {
>     type forward;
>     forwarders { 10.0.0.1; };    // name server to forward to
>     forward only;
>};
>
>cricket
>
>Acme Byte & Wire
>cricket at acmebw.com
>www.acmebw.com
>
>Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
>DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
>the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.
--- End Original Message ---